Monday, October 06, 2008

Flatcon report

This past weekend I went to Flatcon, so here is the report on the fun things I did.

Friday: Day 1
Friday afternoon Kat, Adam and I drove down to Bloomington. We arrived at the convention center got our buttons (we had buttons this year!) and free raffle tickets. We looked at the raffle items and Adam and I put our tickets in. Adam won one of the lots, I didn't, oh well. We took a look at the games that people were demoing and decided to sign up for the Exalted demo, since none of us have ever really played a White Wolf game before. Untill the demo started we took a game from Travis's Big Table of Games and played that. I can't remember the name of the game but you played a farmer and had to develope your land, get a better house, get animals, and such. Was fun but not a game I think I would ever own. Then we got some food, came back and found the table we would be playing at. I must say that I'm not too impressed with Exalted. The world, backstory and setting were interesting, but the mechanics and game itself were not too thrilling. I really don't want to be this all powerfull being and then the most chalenging thing I fight is a boulder and a log. Now the idea of "limit breaking" is interesting but I really don't want to play a charecter, much less in a game, were some could limit break and go around raping people. Not my idea of fun. That ended Friday.

Saturday: Day 2
Saturday Adam and Kat were entered in the Warhammer 40k doubles tournament. This made me try out games and by myself for most of the day. In the morning I played Petsbury, a game similar to Monopoly but your building up a petstore. It was fun and entertaining. After that I watched the Warhammer thing for a bit. That was interesting but it seems really compicated. After lunch Adam and Kat went back to the tournament and I went to go and try to play this one game. Unfortunatly not enough people signed up for it. So I ended up playing a bunch of short games with this one local gaming group. We played Jungle Speed, Incan Gold, and Three Dragon Ante. I had played Incan Gold before and that is always a fun game to play. The other 2 were lots of fun as well. I ended up picking up Three Dragon Ante from one of the venders, it was that much fun. I'm going to look and perhaps pick up the other 2 at some point, just becuase they are so much fun. By then the tournament was done and we all went to dinner. Adam and Kat didn't win anything but they had fun. After dinner I bought a couple of games, Horus and Three Dragon Ante. Adam and Kat bought Arkham Horror and an expansion for it. We all also bought a d30 or 2. Kat and I went half and half on a scoop of dice. I taught Adam and Kat how to play 3 Dragon Ante and that was fun. We decided that it would be fun to play for pennies at some point with it. We ended the night by playing Shadows Over Camelot with Travis and some of his friends. Shadows is a game I really want to get, I would have bought it this weekend but the 2 vendors who had it sold out. This time we played with the expansion which I had never done before. It was fun. Made the game a bit harder which is fun.

Sunday: The last day
Sunday we spent the morning playing Desperado, a minitures shoot-em-up game. That was a whole lot of fun. I lasted for till near the end. Kat made till the very end and was finally killed with a stick of dynamite. It was lots of fun. We played a little animal stacking game while we waited for the raffle. Neither Kat nor I won anything this time. But oh well, the money all went to Relay for Life so it was all good. I also bought and made another foam sword, I have 3 now. Now Iris, Lilly, and I can all have one big melee. Fun fun. We went out and had tasty lunch with Travis and Adam's mother before we headed back out on the road. I love eating tasty, messy tacos.

And that was my weekend. The return trip was uneventful, except for me getting attacked by a large bug at a rest stop. Next update around homecomeing and about many things.

No comments: